Please visit this page regularly so that you can stay informed about the latest plans for schools in general and Thandokhulu High in particular in the time of the coronavirus disaster in South Africa.
The latest news and announcements can be found on our News Blog.
Notice of our Budget 2021 meeting for all parents:
About Our School
Thandokhulu High School is not your typical school. It was established in Khayelitsha in 1990 and the school had no buildings or facilities of its own. It had to share facilities with Emithini Primary School according to a platoon system and Thandokhulu used the primary school buildings from 12h00 – 17h00.
The National Education Crisis Committee together with Thandokhulu parents identified the present buildings vacated by Tafelberg Primary School and in 1993 Thandokhulu High School occupied the buildings.
Our school serves the socio-economically-challenged communities of Khayelitsha, Langa and Gugulethu, but we have students from as far away as Fish Hoek, Hout Bay and Milnerton.
Our matric results have been considerably better than those of the majority of former Department of Education and Training schools and that has contributed to Thandokhulu being a sought-after school in township communities.
Transport to and from school is not subsidised and this has forced us to keep school fees below R1,500.00 per annum. It has been very difficult to fund development projects from such low school fees, therefore we rely heavily on donations and grants.
SUPPORT THANDOKHULU WITH YOUR MYSCHOOL CARD. APPLY BY CLICKING ON THE IMAGE BELOW.
At Thandokhulu we encourage our learners to:
- set high but achievable targets for themselves;
- focus their learning by analysing their assessment marks to set the next target of performance to achieve;
- strengthen their learning by making friends with high performing, ambitious fellow students;
- support one another in study groups;
- encourage one another to take advantage of extra learning opportunities organised by Thandokhulu and other institutions / organisations;
- do market research to begin planning their academic and working career