OPENING OF THANDOKHULU HIGH FOR THE MATRICS
Dear Grade 12 Parent/Guardian and Matric Student
We expect our matrics to enter through Thandokhulu High Main Road gate between 05H30 and 07H45 on Monday morning, 01 June 2020.
MATRICS PLEASE FAMILIARISE YOURSELF WITH THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURE:
- Students not wearing a face mask covering the nose and mouth cannot enter the school premises and will be sent back home.
- You will line up in front of the Admin Building in single file and always keep a 1.5 m distance between yourselves.
- Your hands will be sanitised at the Admin Building.
- Once your hands are sanitised you will walk to the Hall following the route between the Main Building and the New Building.
- You must line up on the netball court in front of the school hall, keeping 1.5m personal distance all the time.
- Teachers will screen you (take their temperature, and ask health related questions).
- You are then allowed into the hall to take your seat in class groups.
You will sit in the same seat every morning in the hall, and in the same seat in your classroom during the day.
- All students must be seated in the hall by 08H00.
We will have an orientation meeting to explain the rules during the time of the corona virus disaster.
- Students arriving before 07H00 must report at reception.
- No student is allowed on the premises without having been sanitised and screened.
- Should we discover an unscreened student on the school grounds, he/she will be sent home immediately.
- We take the health of our parents, staff and students very seriously, and we are adamant to do what we can to prevent the spread of coronavirus disease.
- Teachers will be available to monitor behaviour and keeping of personal distance at all times.
PLEASE BRING THE FOLLOWING WITH YOU:
- Your own packed lunch.There are no tuck-shops or school feeding.
- A warm coat/overcoat/fleece/synthetic insulating fabric/throw blanket.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
Principal: Jimmie de Villiers
LOCKDOWN STUDY RESOURCES
About Our School
Thandokhulu High School is not your typical school. It was established in Khayelitsha in 1990 and the school had no buildings or facilities of its own. It had to share facilities with Emithini Primary School according to a platoon system and Thandokhulu used the primary school buildings from 12h00 – 17h00.
The National Education Crisis Committee together with Thandokhulu parents identified the present buildings vacated by Tafelberg Primary School and in 1993 Thandokhulu High School occupied the buildings.
Our school serves the socio-economically-challenged communities of Khayelitsha, Langa and Gugulethu, but we have students from as far away as Fish Hoek, Hout Bay and Milnerton.
Our matric results have been considerably better than those of the majority of former Department of Education and Training schools and that has contributed to Thandokhulu being a sought-after school in township communities.
Transport to and from school is not subsidised and this has forced us to keep school fees below R1,500.00 per annum. It has been very difficult to fund development projects from such low school fees, therefore we rely heavily on donations and grants.
SUPPORT THANDOKHULU WITH YOUR MYSCHOOL CARD. APPLY BY CLICKING ON THE IMAGE BELOW.
At Thandokhulu we encourage our learners to:
- set high but achievable targets for themselves;
- focus their learning by analysing their assessment marks to set the next target of performance to achieve;
- strengthen their learning by making friends with high performing, ambitious fellow students;
- support one another in study groups;
- encourage one another to take advantage of extra learning opportunities organised by Thandokhulu and other institutions / organisations;
- do market research to begin planning their academic and working career